We are proud to deliver this annual art prize in conjunction with Murray Arts and burraja gallery. Our aim is to raise public awareness of local contemporary Aboriginal art and provide opportunities for local Aboriginal artists.
Entries are now open!
The Art Prize does not have a theme for 2018 and welcomes existing artworks as well as new works.
Visual artwork in any medium is welcome to be submitted. All artwork will be displayed on easels or three dimensional work can be displayed on plinths.
Minimum suggested size for two-dimensional works is 42cm X 60cm.
The artworks will be showcased, to the general public, in North East Water’s offices at 83 Thomas Mitchell Drive Wodonga from Monday 29 October until Friday 2 November 2018.
Artists are asked to price their own work and we are seeking works with a minimum value of $500.
COMMISSION: The sale of all artwork entered into the Art Prize will go through the burraja gallery.
- burraja gallery is a social enterprise model and is partnered with Burraja Indigenous Cultural Centre which provides local Aboriginal cultural education and activities for Indigenous students.
- A 20% commission is added to the artist’s price on their artwork.
- 15% of this commission supports the maintenance and upkeep of burraja gallery.
- 5% of the commission goes to supporting Burraja Indigenous Cultural Centres education program.
All artworks submitted as entries to the Art Prize must be created by Aboriginal artists who live, work or have a connection with the Border/North East Region. Each artist may submit only one artwork, to be delivered to North East Water from Monday 22 to Wednesday 24 October between 9am and 5pm. A maximum of 15 artworks will be selected for the Art Prize.
All entries are due by 5pm on Wednesday 24 October and must include:
- Artist Profile
- Description of Work
- Certificate of Authenticity
- Price of the artwork (pre 20% commission)
ACQUISITION & SALES
One artwork will be purchased by The Board of North East Water and will become part of North East Water’s permanent collection. All other pieces entered will be for sale from 30 October until 2 September.
All copyright remains with the artist for any artwork entered as part of the art prize, including the artwork chosen for the acquisition. Reproductions of any artwork entered is prohibited without the prior written permission of the artist.
North East Water & burraja gallery reserve the right to use images of the artist/s work for promotion and marketing purposes across its electronic social media platforms and published promotional material & documentation. All credits to the artist and their artwork will be included in all promotion and marketing.
Entries Open: 2018 North East Water Local Aboriginal Acquisitional Art Prize
All of the artists who enter the Art Prize are invited to attend the Opening of the North East Water Aboriginal Art.
This cocktail event will be held from 5.00pm until 6.30pm, on Monday 28 October 2018, at North East Water Offices, 83 Thomas Mitchell Drive Wodonga.
- 28 Sep: North East Water Art Prize brief is released and circulated
- 1 Sep – 19 Oct: Artists to advise North East Water of the intention of entering the Art Prize
- 22 – 24 Oct: Artists deliver artwork to North East Water (reminder limit 1 artwork per artist)
- 26 Oct: Selection of artwork for exhibition by North East Water in consultation with burraja gallery curator
- 29 Oct: Installation of artworks led by burraja gallery curator 12.00pm – 4.00pm
- 29 Oct: North East Water Board select Acquisitional Art Prize 4.00pm – 4.30pm
- 29 Oct: North East Water Aboriginal Art Prize Opening 5.00pm-6.30pm – Acquisition Announced
- 30 Oct: Art Prize opens to the public – 11am -3pm
- 2 Nov: Art Prize closes 3pm
- 5 Nov: Artwork is collected by purchasers or artists
TO REGISTER YOUR INTEREST
Contact Luke Jobson on 1300 361 622 or firstname.lastname@example.org