Buying or Selling Commercial Property

Buying or selling a commercial property

We know buying or selling a commercial property can be a busy time. To help you through the process we have outlined what you need to do in order to transfer your water account.

Things to consider when buying or selling a commercial property

If you are selling a property, your solicitor/ conveyancer should ensure all service charges and water usage is accounted for at settlement and advise North East Water of the new owners details.

You or your solicitor/conveyancer, may apply for a Water Information Statement which will provide details of the outstanding balance owing on the property up to the date of settlement and any information relevant to the property, such as services connected/ available or easements (fees apply). The Water Information Statement may include estimated water usage, based on the historical usage at the property. If you would like the actual water consumption calculated a special meter reading can be ordered as part of the water information application process (fees apply). Once settlement occurs, you or your solicitor/conveyancer should send through a Notice of Acquisition to update the property ownership.

If you have a tenant entering the property (and you are remaining the owner) you or your Real Estate Agent needs to supply your new contact/postal details and the tenant’s details if they are responsible for future water usage.

How to apply for a Water Information Statement and/or Special Meter Read

A Water Information Statement, Special Meter Read and asset plan can be requested directly through North East Water.

North East Water provides a Water Information Statement for $57.10 and a Special Meter Read for $57.20 in 5 business days. The standard asset plan will be sent with the Water Information Statement at no additional charge when requested. To apply, click here.

A Water Information Statement, Special Meter Read and property plan can also be applied for through Landata.

Landata offer a turnaround time of approximately 10 business days for Water Information Statements and /or Special Meter Reads. A standard asset plan can be received in 5 days. Landata charges, which are in addition to North East Water charges, apply to these services. To apply, click here.

What will North East Water do

We will provide information relating to charges and property services to solicitors/ conveyancers upon request prior to the property settlement.

We will use an estimated meter reading, based on historical usage to calculate the charges applicable unless a Special Meter Reading is ordered and paid for.

We will register the new owner or tenants for water usage and service charges (for owners) once their details are received.