Concessions and Grants

Concessions and Grants

Concessions & Grants

Pensioners and eligible concession card holders may apply for discounted bills and assistance programs.

If you are in financial hardship you can apply for a grant to help pay your bill.

Discounts for concession card holders

If you hold an eligible concession card you qualify for a discount on your bill.

Eligible cards are:

  • Centrelink Pension Concession Card
  • Centrelink Health Care Card
  • Department of Veterans' Affairs Pension Concession Card
  • Department of Veterans' Affairs Gold Repatriation Health Card for all conditions

To qualify, the name and address on your water bill must match the details on your concession card, and be your main place of residence.

Register your concession details by visiting our Customer Contact Centre or calling us on 1300 361 633.

Things to know:

  • To be eligible for a concession bill, you must register your concession details with us first. The concession is automatically deducted from your bill. (You cannot present your concession¬†card and pay over the counter if you have not already lodged your concession details).
  • By providing your concession details, you¬†authorise us to confirm your eligibility with Centrelink or the Department¬†of Veterans Affairs. This consent is ongoing. To revoke it, please contact us.
  • If you are no longer entitled to a concession, you must contact us.

Water and Sewerage Rebate Scheme - for Community Service Organisations

A rebate scheme for water and sewerage services is available for not-for-profit community service organisations such as those in the fields of:

  • Education ¬†¬†¬†¬†
  • Health or nursing care
  • Religious worship
  • Charity¬†
  • Outdoor¬†sporting or recreation activities
  • War veterans organisation

For further information contact us or phone 1300 361 633.

Utilities relief grant and Payment Assistance

The Department of Human Services provides assistance for domestic customers who are unable to pay their utilities bills due to a temporary financial crisis.

To be eligible you must hold one of the following concession cards:

  • Pensioner Concession Card
  • Health Care Card

You may also be eligible if your household income is lower than the cap set by the Department of Human Services.

You need to demonstrate that unexpected hardship has left you seriously short of money so that you cannot pay your bill without assistance.

You must also meet one or more of the following criteria:

  • a significant increase in usage
  • recent decrease in income, for example loss of employment
  • high unexpected expenses on essential items
  • the cost of your water bill is more than 10% of your household income
  • the cost of shelter is more than 30% of your household income.

Applications can be made once every two years. The application form is available here.

For more information visit the Department of Human Services website.

We can also assist by starting a payment arrangement that will fit your budget. Please contact us or phone 1300 361 633 for further information.

View our Hardship Policy here (or a summary of our Hardship Policy here) and a list of Free Financial Counsellors in the region can be viewed here.